Placement Test FAQ

Do I need to take any placement tests at orientation? If so, how can I contact Student Testing Services for information about testing or policies?
Not everyone needs to take all of the placement tests that are offered at orientation—it often depends on a number of factors, including your major, what tests you have taken, and what kind of credits you have obtained from other colleges through transfer work or dual-credit. To find out which tests are most appropriate for you, either contact the Student Testing Services office or speak with your academic advisor during your orientation session.

You can reach Student Testing Services by calling 512-232-2662, via email at, or visit our office Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Do I need to take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) assessment?
You can check your TSI status on your Registration Information Sheet (RIS). If you are exempt it will say "Exempt" or "Complete" on your RIS and there is no further action needed from you. If not, you will need to provide documentation of your exemption or present passing scores from the TSI Assessment before you can register for courses. For more information, email the TSI Office at

How do I register for tests at orientation?
There are two primary ways to register for orientation tests:

When you register in either of these manners, you will not be charged for the test until after you take it.

If you signed up for tests on the orientation registration site that you no longer need, you can cancel your reservation. If you are still able to access your orientation selections through the New Student Services orientation website, you are welcome to cancel your test registration through the “Making Changes to Your Reservation” link. If you no longer have access to the orientation system, you do not need to worry about trying to cancel your test registration. As long as you registered through the orientation website for our tests, you have not yet been charged any testing fees. Students are only charged for a test after they take it, so if you do not show up for the test for which you registered, you will not be charged for it.

When and how should I plan on paying for my orientation tests?
If you registered for a test through the orientation website or in person with Student Testing Services, you will be charged for any testing fees after you sit for the test. You will have up to two weeks to pay for these charges. There are three ways that you can pay:

  • Online through your What I Owe page
  • In-person at the Bursar’s Office located in the Main Building, Room 8
  • By mail to the Bursar’s Office, University of Texas at Austin, P.O. Box 7398, Austin, TX 78713-7398


If you did not find the answer to your question, please email